I've always wanted to do a tutorial, or a speed edit video, or something like that but I never know how. So I figured I'll just show screen captures of the process of editing my latest photo, Rabbit Hole! :D I use Photoshop CS5, by the way.
Joining in the holiday spirit, here is a curve that I use on almost all my photos. It gives an effect of depthless tones, kind of decrease the highlights while at the same time increasing the shadows. Or something like that. You can download it here.
1. First I expand the main photo by stitching a few photos of the ground and the trees. You can find tutorials on expanding a picture online.
2. Then I added some curves adjustment, creating balance between highlights and shadows.
3. I decided that I wanted the ground to be golden, so I painted some yellow and orange with brush tool on a layer, then set the blending mode to Overlay.
4. The ground was too orange, so I added some blue filter (Photo Filter).
5. I wanted the photo to have a more magical feel, so I decided to add a ray of light, with dust/sparkles/whatever you call it.
6. Then I created a new layer and used brush tool to paint some golden source light. I later toned down the opacity and painted over some details on layer mask.
You can see the final photo here.
p.s. Merry Christmas :D